Between December 2007 and December 2008 a number of enthusiastic individuals met regularly with the objective of developing a series of trails in the Hurunui based on existing parts of rail and road networks, some currently disused, with the intention of creating new trails. The major goal is to establish a network of trails suitable for pedestrians and cyclists covering the Hurunui District from Leithfield to Waiau.
The Hurunui Trails Trust was registered with the Charities Commission in April 2009. The Trust’s vision involves providing a coordinated approach to the development of cycling and walking trails throughout the region to take advantage of the growing interest in these activities for recreation.
The proposed network of trails includes:
- An extended trail network in the Waipara Valley
- A link between Waipara Valley and Waikari
- Completion of the link between Waikari and Hawarden that follows the old railway line
- Leithfield to Amberley walking/cycling link
- Amberley to Waipara walking/cycling link
- Leithfield to Leithfield Beach walking/cycling link
- Amberley to Amberley Beach walking/cycling link
- Linking to recreational cycling tracks in Hanmer
- The Inland Kaikoura Road
- An off-road link with Waiau and Hanmer
- An East Coast to West Coast route via the Lake Sumner Road and Harpers Pass
Support North Canterbury Walking & Cycling Tracks
Please support the trust at the collection spots along the Trail or by donating online. The surface of the Trail is suitable for mountain bikes and is of variable quality. It is a work in progress ~ for bigger and better Trails, please donate!
The Hurunui Trails account is with Westpac: 03 1582 0089352 00 and you can visit the Hurunui Trails website for more information.
To support the trust establish new trails in the Hurunui, with ongoing maintenance of trails and running of the trust, we invite you to become an annual member. It costs only $25 for the year, and will make a big difference to what we can achieve. See our membership page to apply now. Thank you in anticipation of your support!